Friday, August 12, 2005

Feng Shui Butterfly

Where to start? Probably from the beginning of last week huh?

So we decided that we would get the house - but whether or not I move in "full time" are just little details.

And once I let go of the fear that he expected oodles amount of commitment from me, I was able to relax and get excited. So for the last week all that I've been saying is an excited, "we have a home!"

The last two days I have found myself pouring over Feng Shui books. Yes, this is a superstitious little butterfly, who follows her starsign, and is seriously considering buying all manner of crystals, mirrors and windchimes in order to ensure that this house is good for her.

What can I say?

My mother's one of the most superstitious people I know. I've grown up around her telling me where to put my bed, how my room should be placed, and why we can't have certain things in certain places throughout the house. And because often there is no harm in it, I find myself believing. Especially when they are supposed to bring about good fortune.

But see, the more I started reading up, the more I started researching on Feng Shui, the more depressed I got. If I am to believe all that I Ching stuff, the house is more compatible for him than for me. While our bedroom will be in a 'good' spot per se, because there are two doors, potentially (if I read it all correctly) it might well symbolise an ending to our relationship.

There's also potential for our 'passion' area to be lacking, since we can't exactly put our bed along the south wall (because then our bed would be facing the door), and well, yeh.

I'm not too sure about the tree in front of our house, or the fact that the main entrance to our house is to the side, and a little difficult to find. On top of which, you can see the cricket ground's light pole thingy from our back verandah, which if I understand correctly is bad 'sha.'

And then I'm worried that the house door is facing a fence. I have to go back to see if it meets one of the steepled roofs of our next door neighbour. And then there's those two spare rooms - which we I doubt we'll ever use to their full potential, and the fact that our living room has a walkway running through it.

According to all the books I've been reading, I'm supposed to hang crystals, mirrors and windchimes everywhere to compensate. But I asked my boyfriend last night whether he believed in feng shui, and he said no. So how am I going to rationalise hanging a windchime at practically every doorway, not to mention the kitchen? He's going to think I'm nuts.

He's already amusedly pointed out that I'm the 'hippie' of the two, because I play around with astrology, and will make comments like a derisive "she's a capricorn".

But yeh, the more I've been reading the lately, the more I've begun to question how much I should invest in all this feng shui stuff. Sure I've grown up around it all my life, and the idea that I can place my destiny in safe hands and protect myself from harm by having a few trinkets by my side makes me feel somehow more reassured and safe, but at the same time - what happens when I get told that the house we chose isn't the right one for me, and that potentially it could be bad for both of us? Relationship wise anyway?

I was tempted as I was reading at one stage to simply invest in a consultant. But I don't think my boyfriend will tolerate that. Hell, it's going to be bad enough making my own impact on that house without him making derisive comments. He's going to have to indulge me.

I sound like an insane woman don't I? I hate sometimes that I'm so superstitious. I'm tempted to just let it all go, and just enjoy my time in that house. But then the worrying thoughts creep in - what if I had a chance to save this, had all the tools, but was just too scared to do anything about it? Had the cure, but didn't use it? At the same time, do I really want to be a slave to feng shui?

I find that my approach to feng shui is probably the same approach I take to all my 'new age' type beliefs. I believe half heartedly in astrology. If I read something that's truly depressing or I don't want to hear about, I block it out. If I am to believe all that stuff I read about palmistry, then this boyfriend who I think the world of and am totally crazy about - isn't going to be my last. In fact, he'll be the first of four major relationships, the last of which I'm supposed to meet around my thirties I'd say. So I'm not supposed to be destined to marry him.

But how can that be? Who says that is my future, when at this current moment, I seriously feel like I could spend my entire life with him? He is mine, as much as I am his. He fills a void in my life, makes me feel loved. Or perhaps is he just compensating for my father? Is this the right way to go about it? But then there's that argument that we all look for traits in our partners that echo our parents. They fill in the parts of ourselves that are lacking. Their job is to fulfill and enrich our lives. And after they have cured our 'disease' of sorts, is when 'true love' comes into play - the decision to stay with this person after he has cured you - that is 'true love.'

I'm going away for a week on holiday. We're going up to the tropics. Sunshine and a little warmer weather than what I've been experiencing lately. One whole week with only him. And then the following week, we're going to move into our new home.

It's getting close to 9, and I still have so much to do.

Maybe I'll get to some kind of solution with the whole feng shui thing. By the end of today I was just about sick of it all, and ready to throw in the towel. I mean, who cares? If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. But then again - given the ability and chance to enhance my life - I'd be stupid not to, wouldn't I?

Do you believe in feng shui - and all those things that are supposed to enrich our lives?

3 Comments:

At Sun Aug 14, 12:05:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally I think Feng Shui is about as signficant to your relationship as the Atkins diet is to your health.

 
At Sun Aug 14, 09:41:00 am, Blogger Zan said...

Feng Shui is practice adopted from the East and while there is a mystical part of it (e.g. tiger and dragon formation, and what-nots), there is also the common sense part of it.

A lot of so-called Feng Shui tips are things that make sense, like not facing the mirror to the bed, so you wouldn't get a fright everytime you wake up.

I do practise some Feng Shui as well and the way about it is to balance "Qi" (loosely translated to energy forces) in both the home and your life. However there is no need to overdo things.

In fact, one of the best Feng Shui is to keep clutter out!

 
At Tue Aug 16, 10:22:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have to agree there are somethings that are obviously practical, but somethings are just common sense - I was referring to the mystical significance that some arrangements may incur... but hey my room is cluttered as hell.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home