Saturday, October 23, 2004

Succint Butterfly

I came across a post a while ago, and have been debating whether to use the content or simply refer you over to the site. I have decided to post up the things that I enjoyed about the post, simply because I can't express my own feelings towards it, without showing you what on earth i'm talking about. The post basically gave a very succint description of what being an 'asshole' entails.

As a person who isn't often forthcoming in expletives, and often wary of putting people in particular demeaning categories, i suddenly find myself noting that if i follow these definitions, whether I choose to label/admit it or not, the person I constantly bemoan over so often most likely is one.

The definitions are below. I have bolded those which I have experienced first hand. For the sake of copyright (after all the below list isn't my own making) I've only picked out the points that I've found most relevant. For the full list, go visit Just Off Center.
  • An asshole is a hypocrite. He is an emotional roller coaster who will, at times when he is behaving, proclaim that the behavior of other assholes is reprehensible and that they deserve to be lonely and unloved. But when the true asshole comes out he needs your attention and your understanding. It isn't his fault he is so misunderstood. He is right all of the time, and nobody ever seems to value his advice. If only you had the ability to see beyond what your friends wanted you to see, you'd know that he is the only person in this world who cares about you enough to tell you what about you should change.

  • An asshole can rationalize his behavior. The reason he has made you feel so angry or sad is because he is just looking out for you, remember? He doesn't want you to be like everyone else, who simply refuses to see all the ways that they are wrong. You're better than that. He has taken the time out of his day to explain that the reason you feel he is being unfair is because you have a skewed perspective of right and wrong. If only you would come to understand how blessed you are that you are the train wreck he is trying to prevent. Because then you wouldn't give him such a hard time.

  • An asshole holds double standards. Yes, he hurt you when he said what he said. No you are not allowed to say the same thing back. Yes, he wants you to accept that he is the way he is and that you are doing him a disservice by trying to change him. No, that disservice does not extend to prevent you from changing to suit his will. Most every unacceptable thing about you should be accepted about him. And woe betides he or she who tries to make this known.

  • An asshole will self destruct when cornered. When you've finally had enough of his shit and have found a way to stand up for yourself beyond what he is able to argue, he will collapse. He will admit not that he is being unfair, nor that he was wrong in that one isolated circumstance. Instead he will volunteer that he is an utter failure at life. He will feel sorry for himself openly and ask that you just leave him already, because he is a terrible person and doesn't deserve your, or anybody else's , company. You will feel bad for hurting him so terribly. You will build him back up. He will take his ego boost and punish you again.

  • An asshole knows that he is intelligent and insightful. Why doesn't anybody get that? He knows exactly what is wrong with everyone he meets. He can instantly identify the personality flaw that will allow somebody to upset you. He is fantastic at pointing out how your enemies are weak-minded, immoral, and stupid. He will give you everything you need to feel superior to the world. He has had to develop this skill because everyone knows what an asshole he is.

2 Comments:

At Sun Oct 24, 12:15:00 am, Blogger Zan said...

Now i truly know what an 'asshole' entails... hahaha!

Though i believe "An asshole is a hypocrite." really sums most of it... =P

 
At Fri Dec 03, 06:42:00 am, Blogger Mike said...

Hey, thanks for linking to me! I'm glad you liked my post. I was kind of depressed when I wrote it. My wife and I had just finished fighting and I was gloomy about my behavior. But I'm glad you found some incite in it. Refer to me and my blog anytime. You needn't worry about offending me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home